June 25, 2007

Cincinnati, OH Redheads

It's not uncommon to see several redheads when walking around in Cincinnati, OH USA. Although redheads make up only 4 or 5% of the world's population, I have a feeling that the percentage in this Metro area is much higher. This is probably due to the fact that Cincinnati is home to many families of German origin. In modern times, I don't think that Germany has been known for it's redheads. Most of the time people think of Ireland or perhaps Scotland as the origins of the redhead gene, but Germans definately carry the recessive trait, and it shows up in Cincinnati!

Redheads aren't the only place Cincinnati shows it's roots. The first Mayor of Cincinnati was actually born in Heidelberg, Germany. Cincinnati is home to the second largest Oktoberfest in the world (The largest being in Munich). Residents of Cincinnati love Americanized versions of German dishes such as Goetta and Sauerkraut.

Growing up in the Cincinnati area I didn't really understand how unique it is to be a redhead. There was always another redhead in my class at school, and although people always commented on my hair, it wasn't as uncommon as in other parts of the US. This was never more clear to me that when I visited San Francisco, CA, where we saw one other family of redheads, who were also tourists! Even now, when I live just and hour and a half south of the city, there are significantly fewer redheads than in my home town. (There's also a lack of Goetta and Sauerkraut!)

No comments: