August 30, 2008

Cultural Differences...

Thank you, Maike, for inviting me to participate in "A New View".

As a North American, the differences between the hundreds of cultures in the world sometimes takes me by surprise. But then there are other times that we are so similar that it's hard to tell the two apart.

For instance, recently while watching the Olympics a commentator mentioned that the Romanian Gymnast team are very different then they used to be. Between events you could find any of them text messaging their friends and using their cell phones. Very western-ized (for lack of a better word) says the commentator.

I would have to agree. Seems a bit odd to me that Romania of all places is that western-ized. I was in Romania in 1994 and that comment just really seemed out of place.

But why is that?

Maybe because I just don't see the rapid growth of technology over there as it is here. Or maybe because I think the U.S.A. to be far more advanced then the rest of the world?

Ha! I know that is not true. Boy, are we behind in the organic sense. I think the U.S.A. wants to kill off some of its people with the over processing of foods and chemicals they are putting in everything... But that is another post all together.

Anyhow, off of that whole bunny trail. I actually started this post to talk about the differences or similiarities in advertising in other countries.

Yesterday, at the Colorado Mills Mall in Denver, CO I noticed a vast amount of advertising circled around lust.

Oh yes, I said it... lust.

Now, don't get me wrong. I am not just talking about sexual lust here... I am talking about human lust of everything. Maybe a better term would be greed... but I call it lust.

We, as American's, lust after the bigger, the better... the best! All the advertising in the mall screamed, "YOU ARE NOT WORTHY unless you have this fabulous item in question... it won't due to have LAST YEARS model... you must have this one."

Give me a break.

When did this happen? When did we become a country that needs it all? When did we allow Baal to step into our lives and claim our worship (if you know what I mean)? How come we are not satisfied with having our needs met?

This country is in such an economical crisis because everyone wants better then they have. And are willing to go into debt to get it.

Sometimes, I wish that I lived in another country to escape this marketing plot that is being shoved down my children's throats. "You must have more!"

It's similar insanity.

When will American's be happy with what they have? Probably never.

I love my country very much, but I wonder when will enough be enough?

So in this regard, I hope none of the other cultures try to western-ize like the American's have. It is claimed that they all want to be like American's. Does that mean they want to be greedy and lustful too?

Lord, I hope not.

So speak up, what is going on in your culture and country? Is America the only culture who is advertising to have the best at any cost? And do you see it effecting your life, your children, the way you live, etc?

Curious.

1 comment:

Aku said...

Here in India, the cultural differences between villages and big cities is quite striking.

Cities are becoming more and more "westernized", as you put it. Villages, it would seem, never made it past the 19th century!

You're not cool enough if you wear branded clothes, listen to hip-hop and carry the latest gadgets. Things are going pretty much in the same direction here.